Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Unfortunate Gatorade experiences

Sadly, we are sitting and waiting to find out whether or not our last flight will go. If the weather doesn't clear by 10 (and it doesn't look like it will), then we are going to book it home. That sucks. BUT, on the upside, they are booked to go up again in October. I have already put my name in, and it looks like I may just be able to come back.

So here we are, sitting around with our laptops for the next hour and a half. Should I work? Hell no. I'll blog.

Seeing as I was actually high for some of my previous posts, let me recall some highlights from the past couple of days.

These guys have all the Gravitational records for all of the parabolas completed to date. We actually hit negative Gs a couple of times. And, at one point, we hit 2.9Gs. That is commensurate with what the astronauts feel in the shuttle during takeoff.

Yaniv puked. A lot. And seeing as we were essentially sharing a seat, it was a bit disconcerting for me. In fact, during our second flight (and after downing a bottle of lime gatorade), I became extremely concerned when I hear
a) wretching, followed closely by
b) "Oh No"
I was pretty sure that this meant he had missed the "Boarding Pass" (ie vomit bag). Fortunately, it did not hit me. However, when we landed there was a lot of flourescent green on the floor.

Then, as we're driving home (and I'm driving like a Banshee because I'm high on life), Yaniv all of the sudden says "SLOW DOWN", followed quickly by "STOP THE CAR". I'm confused, start slowing to a stop, but not fast enough. At least it was only water at this point. Poor kid. Boy, has he been razzed over the last couple of days. Good on him for not only taking it in stride, but laughing with us the whole time.

On Monday night, I got to go visit the Eatons and their newest member, Molly. Is she ever cute. I can't believe how much she looks like Abby Jane did at that age. And Abby Jane is just getting cuter than ever. I can't believe how much her vocabulary has grown since I saw her last. Here we are sitting on the couch before we dragged Mom out for a couple of hours:

Evening with the Eatons

As we had the day off yesterday, we went to the movies. We went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the afternoon... and what a fantastic movie. Definitely better than the first one, and I would actually put it on par with the book. It was even better watching it with a bunch of kids-in-the-bodies-of-men (i.e. these guys). Lots of laughs... and the line "You're MUMBLING! I can't understand you" has been used at least 74 times since yesterday.

I went back to the hotel to pick up Lynne. Got my email back up and running (its handy having the system adminstrator staying in the hotel room beside you!), over to the pub for some afternoon relaxation, then back to the theatre to watch the 7 o'clock showing of The Island (loosely... I repeat loosely... based on Logan's Run). It was entertaining, but very easy to pick apart in terms of inconsistencies and bad science. Which always provides interesting conversation fodder for the walk back home with a bunch of geeks. Good times.

So its been a good weekend. And it will prove to only get better once I meet up with Hessels for Roadtrip: Hamifax this evening. And I must sign off with this photo, showing us newly indoctrinated flyboys in the hangar:

FlyBoys

Goddamn I love my job.

2 Comments:

Blogger pstewart said...

Glad to hear the experience was great as expected and that all made it through relatively unscathed. Drive safe, I hear Hamifax drivers are road hogs! (insert groan here)

If previous participants have any pull whatsoever, I hereby volunteer for October's flight. A chance to puke and watch it float around...who could pass that up.

Be good.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Anderson said...

[groan... and a little bit of sobbing]

You've got to come up with some better pig jokes. That one was a bit sow-er.

Remind me later to tell you what you need to do to be a participant. I checked and it may be possible.

Peace.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home