Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My Hate/Love Relationship with Purolator

I spent this morning waiting for a package from Purolator, which put me at school 6 hours late. This package left its original destination before my birthday (i.e. mid-July), and I finally received it today. 1.5 months after the fact. Speedy delivery my ass. I think that Purolator is the shittiest company that ever existed (well, along with Microsoft, Blockbuster, McDonald's, U-Haul, and Disney). Here's a tip Purolator: don't hire the mentally retarded to deliver packages and/or field calls from people when the package (inevitably) does not arrive. Although I guess the top brass may also be retarded and therefore unable to read this blog.

Last time I dealt with Purolator, it took 6 delivery attempts to get my package. 6. S-i-x. And I had it delivered to the school, which is pretty easy to find. When I didn't get the package, I called the depot and asked where the package was. The lady on the other end of the phone said they *tried* to deliver it, but they had the wrong address. After getting her to read the address that was recorded (which was right), I awaited my package the next day. And the next. And the next. Called back: was told that my office didn't exist. When I tried to tell them I was calling from this magical office, which according to Purolator must have existed in a tear in the space-time continuum, I got yelled at by the Purolator tard. That was the only time I have ever a) used the word "fuck" with someone in the service industry and b) hung up on someone. I got my package the next day, and I learned that a strategically placed swear can get you a little further ahead in life.

Today, I had to wait around for the package for 3 hours after I thought it would be delivered. This damned package has been to hell and back. Sandra delivered it before she moved but forgot to put the apartment number on it, and it was shipped back to her. Luckily this was a couple of days before she moved, so she was able to ship it out again. Unfortunately, and for reasons I'm not quite sure of, she addressed it to herself (at my address). And there could be no return address, as she didn't know her NS address at the time. As it was delivered while I was helping her move, I was unable to sign for the package. And so it was sent to the depot to await pickup.

Unfortunately, to pick it up at the depot, you need to show proper identification. Seeing as I am not Sandra, I did not have said identification. I finally arranged to have it redelivered this morning, which meant that I had to sit in my apartment because providing an ETA with a standard error of +/- 2 hours is well beyond the capabilities of those fuckers.

Now, you may be asking...with such vehemence in her blog tone, how can she have any sort of love for Purolator?

It's because Purolator brings me toys. Good toys. The 6-delivery-attempt-package was actually my iPod, and my excitement for getting Dancin' Pete back from the Apple hospital goes without saying. Happy days were had all around when I got him back.

And today, it was my birthday present from Hessels. Which was a retro-gaming device that you plug directly into your TV to play such classics as Galaga, Pole Position, and Ms. Pac Man. I just tested it out... and it works good. Real good. Much better than the Atari 2600 I ordered for my brother from eBay 4 Christmas' ago. It even looks like the old Pole Position:

DSC01055

And so, while I spent the morning and part of the afternoon cursing Purolator under my breath, I have now been transported to a happier time in life, where the only stresses in life were beating Ryan in Space Invaders, making sure I was in front of the TV for Mr. Dressup, and whether or not we had enough couch pillows to build a fort in the living room.

GFTs.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

I guess I should have sent my package with Purolator so as to give you maximal approach/avoidance excitement about the arrival of my incredibly late gift. I sent it by good old fashioned Canada Post....good luck with that. You may get it in time for Christine's birthday. Also, I addressed it to myself, at Eva & Don's place.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple things:
-I didn't forget to include the apartment number; it was on there, which is why they were able to send me a notice (to my apartment number) saying that they were unable to deliver it without an apartment number (?)
-I had it sent to my name because the company offered to re-send it for free to make up for the mixup (they usually charge a shitload of money to send to Canada) and I didn't want them to think they were sending it free-of-charge to someone else (all right, maybe that didn't make a whole lot of sense)

Anyway, enjoy.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They may be a large evil corporate empire, but I love Fedex. I was getting a new phone couriered over Sept. 11 2001 from France and, of course, it was grounded. But I could watch it sit in a warehouse somewhere in Calais on the website, and then once planes were allowed to fly again, I could watch it bounce around airports everywhere before ending up in my grubby hands. Fedex certainly feeds our need to know exactly where your stuff is (even though they could make all that shit up)

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have a new career goal in life - blog reader for a large courier company.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

That game looks so cool. I am sooo visiting soon.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

At least Purolater isn't threatening legal action...
http://www.newstarget.com/010826.html

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some people that are mentally challange, you use the word retard as an insult. Maybe they don't need customers like you treating people disrespectful by swearing. Please use Fedex.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home