Friday, September 16, 2005

My Place Is Packed to the Tits

With Brits. Good times. I realize that fitting 4 people in my teeny-tiny apartment is ALMOST a logistical impossibility. ALMOST. Everyone is cozy, but amazingly everyone had a place to sleep. Thanks goodness that Vik has kindly offered to put some of us up tomorrow as more people will be in town.

This will be a brief post as I have to get off my ridiculous ass and finish Christine's Code this aft. But I do have to mention this:

I have FINALLY discovered the source of "Me Old China".

Brief history: Many moons ago, Amy Eaton (nee: Branscombe) found a pad of paper that was shaped like a tea-kettle and said at the top "Me Old China". As we are NOT the most politically correct of folk, she purchased it and gave it to our only Asian friend, Christine Tsang. We laughed and laughed and laughed, because it seemed so unbelievably random (and, we thought, ignorant).

Fast forward to this morning. Ryan's friend Becky was demonstrating her Cockney accent to us whilst we awaited our keys to be cut. I mentioned that Michelle was slowly introducing us to Cockney rhyming slang. Example: "I'm Hank". Which means "I'm hungry" (Hank Marvin --> Starvin'). Becky asks if I know "Me old China".

I stopped dead cold.

The mystery has been solved. "Me old China" is cockney rhyming slang for "Me Mate". (China Plate --> Mate).

Maybe all y'all would preferred to have left the source a mystery, but I for one can finally sleep well tonight.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

Damn. I'm so going to use that.

Perhaps applying a cockney template to prominent examples of Engrish could reveal a shocking conspiracy or treasure, a la The DaVinci Code or the Rule of Four? Such that information about the 'bringing of the tender ladylikeness' by the Muscat Gummy really means something about where the weapons of mass destruction are hidden? I'll probably be killed for stumbling across this....

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home