Monday, September 05, 2005

Role Reversals

The last long weekend of the summer. Sigh. Tomorrow I'll find myself forcing my way through crowds of tight shirts, skirts and dangly earrings... all the signs of suburban undergraduates. I'll have to wait for the 196 bus with hundreds of others, I'll inevitably have to stand on the bus, and probably have my Tim Horton's wait time increase ten-fold. Yes, depression is setting in.

So to prepare myself for the chaos, I went to Avonton yesterday. Michelle was gonna come, but had an unfortunate experience with Sangria (or would that be fortunate?) from the day/evening before. So I got Don and Eva to myself for 2 whole days. Probably for the best... I spent most of the time trying to configure my parents' wireless network anyways. Guess how far I got? Sufficed to say, Avonton is not yet wireless. Oh, but I found a renewed hatred for PCs again.

It was, in fact, reminiscent of the basket incident of 2000, where I ended up leaving rooms in frustration whilst saying "FUCK IT" at the top of my lungs.

And to top it all off, my brother is trying to convince my parents to turn their older computer into a Linux box. My mom thinks he's right. I do not. Granted, Eva is very computer literate for a person her age. But is she system adminstrator material? No. When I told her that it would be too hard however, she became quite offended and pointed out that I was unable to set up the network (ouch). I am almost positive that Linux will be installed within a few weeks out of pure spite.

The other big news is that Eva's applying for a job next week at Baird Lumber as a kitchen designer. This is probably a good move, as it will a) give her something to do, b) give them money to renovate their kitchen, and c) provide them with discounted materials for their new kitchen. Her only apprehension is that she doesn't want to leave Don at home alone. The reason: she's afraid that "Don's going to climb trees" when she's not there.

This of course puts the following imagery in my head: Eva, leaving for work in the morning, waving at Don through the front window. Don, waving back, watching until she's out of sight, then immediately running out of the back door and up a tree. I'm not sure why Eva is so fearful of this, but knowing Don, her fears are likely NOT unfounded. For those of you who have not heard "Dad Stories", this may seem a little weird to you. But, for those of you who are familiar with Don and his history of climbing/burning/cutting things, you can understand why Eva may be a bit apprehensive. It actually smacks of the time that Dad fell off the roof in Kansas City and broke his ass, where he was discovered by the cop that lived across the road sitting on the lawn. Yep, if Mom goes to work, Dad my have to be chained down. It would be for the best.

I'll leave you with a picture that I stole from them of their trip out to Newfoundland, which I think nicely illustrates their relationship:

Hang on at Trinity East

At least they're entertaining.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anderson said...

I'll forward this comment to Eva and see what she thinks.

I think it just proves my point.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. I was thinking of installing it for her and locking her out of any administrative abilities.

To be honest, I just want to SSH into this Linux computer and download torrents, and then sftp them back here, as I can't get torrents through the university Internet. So I do have some serious ulterior motives in suggesting Linux. I really think the bigger question is: do they really need two computers?

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I was going to go with Fedora, but I'll check out Libranet.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Anderson said...

Well THAT makes more sense. But you'll have to deal with the 200 Skype calls-per-day involving system admin, however. Your funeral.

Maybe you should just install it, and then forbid them from touching it.

Also, will Linux have the appropriate drivers for an external LinkSys wireless card?

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing as Linksys dominates the WiFi market, that won't be a problem.

Regarding tech support, she has claimed that this second computer will not be used for Internet downloads, which includes new software. I will hold her to that.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cleavers said...

Can I just say you guys should be having this discussion over private emails so that the rest of your reading public are not exposed to it.

Please

For us.

Or you might lose readers

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cleavers, my sentiments exactly...although...we may be at fault for decicing to read the seven odd replies to a post about operating systems

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it's cool! Really! Perhaps a few dozen more posts about the topic will change your mind.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Anderson said...

Ryan: Kevin has offered to let you set up HIS linux box to download torrents. That may be more convenient.

I could have emailed you this, but now I'm commenting for spite.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home