Monday, October 17, 2005

My World-View Lacks Sufficient God-View

In the process of attempting to weave together some sort of teaching philosophy, I encountered something that I have never really given much thought to. Now, I KNOW that there are Christian Colleges out there, but I guess I have never really paid attention to what that means. I kind of thought they were like the Catholic School board (i.e. pretty much like every other school but with a religion class thrown in here and there). Turns out, not so much.

These people are, well, a little off.

Case in point, HERE'S the teaching philosophy for "A highly ranked, nationally competetive college that puts Christ above all". And I'm all on board with their Integrative position. The fact that the department has their own theme verse (not in song terms either, in the biblical sense) scares me. It scares me a lot.

Apparently, the purpose of Psychology is to aid in helping God's creatures who have diverted from the path of righteousness. OH..... I didn't get the memo. I wonder how psychophysics will help "aid students in their journey of loving and developing eternally meaningful relationships with God, others, and self". I may have to reevaluate my whole research program, and approach vision from more of a God-View. Maybe I can measure His contrast sensitivity at the same time. I would bet that His spatial frequency channels would be significantly broader than normal.

This department frightens me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Propose that, like faces, there is a section of the brain devoted to God and religion. I'm sure all kinds of shit will light up in the MRI. Given their heads are a fair way up their ass to begin with it shouldn't take much convincing.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home