Friday, October 14, 2005

Well, It's Official

I'm on the surgical waitlist to have my ACL repaired (wait time 6 months). The surgeon touted me as an "Ideal Candidate for Reconstructive Surgery". That made me happy, as I don't know as I have ever been referred to as an ideal anything. But now its sinking in about what that means.

It means that they're going to cut me open, slice me up, and screw me back together again.

This is making me nervous. I have never had surgery. I have never stayed in the hospital. I've never had stitches. For Christ sake, I've never even had a cavity. I'm a healthy person (even despite the retarded amount of drinking and smoking that I do). But now, I'm going to actually have a knife penetrate the surface of my skin. Shudder. It also didn't help that the surgeon was required to disclose potential risks, which included amputation above the knee should the surgery go horribly awry.

But afterwards, I'm going to be able to run and jump as I was once able to do (after another 6 months). I'll be free as a bird! And the 90-95% promise of complete mobility once again supercedes any cowardice that I am feeling at the moment. So I'm doing it.

To celebrate, I have decided to treat myself to a .Mac account. My computer is acting funny, and I need to back up my data. After careful consideration, I have decided that .Mac is the way to go. And it will also provide me with webspace for picture sharing, so I won't have to update my flickr account. Ah yes, a good afternoon it shall be indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

Oh sure, when a doctor tells you that you're an ideal candidate for reconstructive surgery he means your knee. The one time a doctor said that sort of thing to me, he meant I could use a little nipping and tucking, maybe an implant or two....

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home