Sunday, January 22, 2006

Waste Disposal

I just got a notice in my door, as I often do, addressed to all residents of my building. The topic matter: waste disposal. Usually I don't read these things carefully, but this one I decided to take a glance at before I disposed of it (I wasn't going to flush it down my toilet, I swear). The following would be an excerpt from said notice:

"...We are encountering many problems as a result of the improper use of the newly installed toilets [note: we just got low-flow toilets a few months ago]. Many tenants are using the toilet to dispose of articles that the toilet was not designed to handle. This results in the toilet not flushing properly and the need to call the plumber to clear the toilet.

The following are some of the articles, which may not be disposed of, in the new toilets:

- Dental Floss
- Sanitary napkins
- Tampons
- Kitty Litter
- Flushable Kitty Litter
- Potatoes

..."

????

Potatoes?

Potatoes?

Who the hell flushes potatoes down their toilet?

And why just potatoes? What about other tubers? Or food-stuffs for that matter? Can I flush small servings of pasta? How about a can of soy beans?

I'm also trying to figure out how dental floss can fuck up the system. That must be one hell of a lot of dental floss (i.e. several containers) to plug up the toilet. And why wouldn't they optimize their list by having Kitty Litter (flushable or not) as one item? I'm not on board with Trivest's list, I tell you what. I have a feeling that this list may be geared towards Crazy across the hall. She just finished yelling about being celibate for 7 years. Didn't really need to know that.

Can you tell I'm trying to avoid writing an introduction to my talk?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

If she's celibate - how did she have a dying 5 month baby in her belly! Thats some spooky shit - I'd go crazy if I were celibate for 7 years and still managed to have a baby.

PS - what do you think about MASHED potatoes?

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the potato notice too..and was puzzled by it as well. At least you didn't have the plumber at your door 5 minutes after you went to the bathroom, asking if you'd just flushed and telling you that they really needed you to not flush for another 1/2 hour. After smelling and seeing the mess in our basement, I'm in favour of the no-potato flushing rule if that's what caused it.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home