Monday, March 06, 2006

65% And Climbing

Slowly but surely, life is returning to normal. I'm getting a bit more mobile, I can attend social events, and can stay awake for 12 hours on end. Now, all I need is for the mental capacity to return and all will be right with the world.

As promised, Saturday was a brilliant reintroduction back into the social scene. Even better, as it started a wee bit earlier than normal. I was in the pub by 4:00, greeted by none other than LMD and Dr. Prince. A beer in hand, a stablizing chair, and thus the night began. We saw the Kensington Hillbillies, a fantastic Twang band that was nothing short of excellent. How can a band with five (count 'em f-i-v-e) guitarists go wrong? Mike showed up about 1/2 hour later; Chris, Jamie and Mark (yet another Brit introduced into the mix) an hour after that. And thus it began.

At one point, I was outside (Yes, smoking. I admit it. I was celebrating. And damnit, I felt like smoking), talking to a nice rastafarian man who told me I looked *soft* and that I *deserved a man who treated me right* (it was the crutches that drew him in). Whilst trying to pull myself from this conversation, I noticed a couple walk into the pub where the guy looked familiar. I followed them back in, promptly forgot about them, and was drawn back to the band. About 5 minutes later however, Mike turned around and said 'Hey! Isn't that the guy we went to see a few weeks ago?" I didn't even have to look: he was right. Turns out, Matt Barber walked into Graffitti's with a date. Now, understand that Graffitti's is a really small bar, and by this point, we were pretty much the only people left in the bar. Before I could say boo, Mike said to him "Hey! We went to see you at the Bluebird North show a couple of weeks ago! This is your biggest fan!". I tried to downplay my obsession by telling him that I had all his albums. Oh, and I did mention that I checked out his website every couple of weeks or so. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he was getting laid after that (To be fair, the girl he was with was very nice, and was probably his girlfriend. But I still like to think that we made him look that much hotter in her eyes). Ah, the good random Saturday afternoon.

We booked it around 7 and went to the Tap, where the drinking continued. Vicki and Mark, Mary and Adrienne, Michelle, Sarah W. and FINALLY Boston Sarah (who decided to have a couple of shots before leaving home to catch up and came in all pissed up) all staggered in at various points in the evening. Unfortunately, I don't have too much recall of much of the rest of the night (I especially realized this after looking at Michelle's pictures... I don't remember the pitcher incident AT ALL), but I blame that largely on the fact that I was ridiculously tired. In fact, we left at midnight, as I couldn't stay awake a minute longer. So even though it may *seem* like I was incredibly irresponsible, I was responsible enough to get myself in bed in a reasonable hour. And I didn't even have a patented Anderson hangover the next day. Although I was pretty knackered.

Don and Eva came to take care of me yesterday and drive me to work this morning. It felt like the first day of school, where my parents had to make sure I made it in OK. This is when I realized that, while I am physically getting better, I'm still pretty far behind mentally (insert obvious joke here). And so I was only able to put in a half day, because the effort of TTCing it home with crutches seemed overwhelming. And sitting at my desk for more than 4 hours was just, well, sucky. So I came home. But I'll go back tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. There's science to be done.

Although something tells me that I won't be the one doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home