Monday, April 03, 2006

Things I Will Miss: Vol. I

It's funny; while I had always yearned to move to Toronto for a couple of years since leaving my hometown, I always thought that I would always be a country girl at heart. But now, after being a Torontonian for 2.5 years, I realize that this city has slowly and surely woven through me.

This weekend, the fact that I am leaving Toronto really started to hit. I started being more cognizant of things that I am going to really miss about this city. Friends, family and certain hangouts are, of course, a given, and I'm not even going to start thinking of leaving those behind yet lest I turn into a quivering mess for the next 3 months. But I am going to start appreciating some of the little things that I can't bring with me to Edmonton.

1. The greatest cheese shop in North America, located in the heart of Kensington Market, is Global Cheese. This has got to be the only place where you can walk in with $10, and walk out with 3 lbs of cheese and change to boot. If you don't know if you will like the exotic flavours that they offer, then you can ask for as many samples as your heart desires (yesterday I sampled a lovely Dutch soft mushroom cheese that was selling for $3.99/lb). And when you've loaded up with cheese, you can walk across the street and celebrate your dairy conquer at Graffiti's. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend afternoon.

2. When I moved to Toronto, I decided that I would optimize my living location to take advantage of downtown (Thank God). But as a result, I have to commute 45 minutes to work each day. I initially thought that I would utilize this time to read papers, write, and possibly program (hence the laptop). Instead, I have discovered that the commute is my favorite me-time. Before walking out the door, I take a great deal of time deciding which album I will listen to on my iPod (the overall trip takes just over an album... I have started keeping track of time in terms of music). I walk the 3 minutes to the subway, trying to make it to the other end of the platform before the next train gets in (to optimize time by getting onto the car that brings me straight to the escalator at Downsview). When I get on the car, I search for a copy of the Metro. This is how I stay in touch with world events. The Metro is a free paper (that actually has a larger readership than any other daily in Canada) that people can pick up outside the subway. When they are finished, they leave it on the seat for the next rider to read. It takes me exactly the subway ride to read the Metro cover to cover, whereupon I leave it on the seat again for the next consumer. This is how I start every morning.

3. My first year here, I was afraid of the ladies at Tim Horton's on campus. They just seemed, well, bitter. This was a harsh contrast to the loverly ladies that ran the Tim Horton's kiosk at Mac in the Health Sciences centre. However, over the years, it seems that I have won them over with my charm (well, and Kevin too). When I show up, the scowl on their face is removed and I get a great big 'Hello Sweetheart!'. If Kevin is not with me, they ask where he is, whilst making the black large coffee that I don't even have to ask for anymore. I love the fact that we have won them over and that we bring sunshine to their day.

4. Last for this list, I'm going to miss getting a phone call at 9:47 from Philly, to go down to Lee's Palace to go and see a show at 10:30. Which is what I'm going to do now. So I need to put some pants on. The band is South. I recommend them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

AWWW! I'm sure Edmonton will have equally great things for you - I'm pretty sure Dose publishes a daily there, which will keep you up to date in a less-Toronto-Star-ish fashion.

Also - don't despair! You're in the heartland and there will be RIVERS of cheese.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home