Saturday, April 29, 2006

Things I Will Miss: Vol. III


The British. Oh, how I will miss the British. Most of you know that since I have moved to Toronto, I have developed an affinity for British people. This is largely due to 3 reasons:

1. There are an inordinate number of Vision Scientists who are from England. I really don't know why this is. But I have noticed that other fields in psychology don't seem to attract the British nearly as much. And seeing as I work at one of the largest vision research places in North America, there are a lo' o' Brits walking our halls.

2. Since Ryan has moved to England, I have realized that I am all about the British culture. After having visited him, and ensconcing myself in the British Academic environment for a couple of weeks, I realize that England is the place that I never knew I wanted to be. I did not discover this until the ripe age of 30. Any people who find it socially acceptabile to go to the pub every night after work are OK by me.

3. Cleavers. That chick has draped herself in the Union Jack. And has introduced me to more expats than I can name.

The fact that I may not find a British group in Edmonton actually has me quite worried. I am not allowed to admit that I have trolled the internet for a couple of hours looking for a British expat meetup group in Edmonton. Cleavers would lose it if she found out I did that. Unfortunately, there are no such groups in Edmonton that I can find, and can not therefore 'randomly' show up at a British meetup meeting at a pub, practicing my accent. Maybe I'll start one up, and have Cleavers and DrBoobs come for a visit and pretend to be members.

At least nobody will give me shit for having a bad English Accent.

PS... As you can see, I'm not dead. Just stupid busy between work and starting to organize my move.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

The Dean is a Brit. That might help. Perhaps if you just follow him around you'll eventually find a coven of them, lurking somewhere in the city.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Cleavers said...

Ah, you are so sweet - and I'm so glad I have converted you to the dark side.

I now have a mission - find Anderson a British group in Edmonton before she moves out there.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home