Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Longest Move Ever

There's good reason that I haven't posted much yet, nor changed my blog title: I'm still not moved in. My stuff hasn't arrived (I haven't seen any of it in over 3 weeks now). Until today, I was using Lynne's office as a resting place. I am technically living in my apartment, but *living* consists of a (newly purchased) Ikea sofa bed, dresser, the world's most fantastic patio set, and 2 majesty palms. Oh, and new wireless access. And, of course, the contents of my suitcase.

No couch.

No TV.

No proper shoes (although I broke down and bought another pair of Chucks. Red low tops this time).

No phone (I refuse to use my cell, as I have to keep my Toronto number because that's the only way the damned movers can get a hold of me when they do come).

Its a good thing I'm a relatively laid back person, because many people put in my position may have lost it by now.

Yes, you may be feeling sorry for poor, poor Anderson at this moment.

But before you bring out the small violins...

I have met the other new faculty member. We get on like 2 houses on fire. She's a hell of a lot of fun, and our type of peeps. She is a Forensic psychologist, and I think that we are going to be able to do some really cool research together. Also: lives across the courtyard from me. Which is especially useful, as she has had me over for dinner (seeing as I don't have the facilities to cook my own dinner yet), provided me with plates and cutlery (which vastly improves the selection of entrees that I can eat when I DO choose to eat at home), and satiates my need to occasionally imbibe. Swee-eet.

I have learned that even though I possess virtually nothing at this point, there is no way that I will ever survive without a washer/dryer, dishwasher (which I haven't used but recognize the potential), or 2 bathrooms again. You may think to yourself: what the hell would one person ever need 2 bathrooms for? But when you have to pee, the mere fact that you don't even have to decide "left or right?" (either direction will get you to the desired goal) saves valuable time on the way to the can.

I have also checked out my 3 locals. Ceili's goes without saying. Lynne and I went to dinner at the Sherlock Holmes, which is a fantastic Pub located 3 blocks from my place and offers the illusion of British entitlement, And we just got back from the Sidetrack, where we saw a sampler of bands that we shall see in full force at Waynefest in September. And its only a block from my place. It's like God realized that I needed live music and decided to create a venue just for me.

And the best news of all is that I now have my new computer. His name is John Frink. As I removed him from his box, I shed some tears. He's just so goddamned pretty. He comes with a remote (I know, I know: What would you need a remote for? But I had a hell of a lot of fun sitting at the other side of the office and looking through my iTunes playlists). Unfortunately, the next couple of days are sucked up so I don't have a chance to set him up properly, but I know that he's waiting for me.

As with any good love affair, its the anticipation. The sweet, sweet anticipation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Why John Frink? And what the hell is taking the movers so long? Did you hire Kevin's?

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hellllooooooo????? you call this a blog??? you suck at this.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home